How Much Water Should You Drink?
You probably know that water contributes to wellness in big ways, which is why it’s so important to keep an eye on your water intake. However, staying hydrated is sometimes easier said than done, especially if your days are packed with work, childcare and other big responsibilities.
The good news is that you can start drinking more water without too much extra effort. Here’s everything you need to know about water intake, along with a few fun tips for drinking more water.
Did you know that some people don’t start feeling thirsty until they’re already dehydrated? This means your body might need you to drink more water even if you don’t feel thirsty. So how can you make sure you’re staying hydrated? You’ve probably heard all your life that it’s important to drink water — but do you know just how important?
Water is so vital that it’s considered one of six essential nutrients, along with fat, carbohydrates, protein, vitamins and minerals. Here are just a few of the most crucial things water helps your body do:
- Regulate temperature
- Lubricate joints
- Boost immune strength
- Digest food
- Remove waste products from the kidneys
- Improve sleep, and
- Manage mood
If your body always maintained the same fluid levels, you might never need to drink at all. However, you’re losing water even as you read this: breathing, sweating and other everyday activities can change the fluid levels in your body. In fact, you can lose between two and three litres of water every day, which is why healthy water intake is so important. If you lose more fluid than you take in, the result is dehydration. Symptoms of dehydration can include thirst, fatigue, dizziness, and confusion, depending on the severity of your condition; even as little as 2% fluid loss can impact brain function.
How Much Water Do You Need?
Different people have different water intake requirements. For example, you need to drink more when you’re exercising or working outside, because activities like these will make you sweat and lose more fluid. However, if you’re wondering how much water to drink in a day, there’s a simple guideline to follow: about 11.5 cups (91 ounces) for women and 15.5 cups (125 ounces) for men.
Where Should Your Fluid Intake Come From?
For the most part, 80% of your fluid intake comes from drinking water and other beverages, while the other 20% comes from your diet. Ideally, that 80% should be mostly water, not sugary drinks or other beverages. That’s because fruit juice, vitamin water and energy drinks could be loaded with sugar, so they do more harm than good for your diet.
As for the 20% that comes from food, you have plenty of options, including these snacks with high water content:
7 Ways to Drink More Water
#1: Choose Reusable Water Bottles You Love
Reusable water bottles made of glass or stainless steel are a great way to bring water with you on the go. Remember to keep your bottle close at all times.
#2: Replace Sugary Drinks
If you need to drink water more frequently, start by replacing one sugary drink per day. That helps you add a more reliable source of hydration to your diet without having to say goodbye to your favorite beverages all at once.
#3: Drink Throughout the Day
Don’t try to fill your water intake quota in one big gulp. Instead, remind yourself to drink throughout the day and keep your reusable water bottle within reach.
#4: Put Water in the Fridge
Did you know that it’s easier for your body to absorb cool water than room-temperature water? Put your reusable water bottle or a pitcher in the fridge so you always have a nice cold drink to look forward to.
#5: Make Your Own Healthy Flavoring
If you’re a fan of sugary drinks but don’t want all the extra calories, there’s good news: You can make your own healthy flavoring to help increase your water intake. There are plenty of fruit water infusion recipes including watermelon, mint, ginger, pineapple and even jalapeno, so don’t be afraid to get creative and make hydration fun.
#6: Set Drinking Water Alarms
You probably have your phone or computer with you all the time, which means they’re the perfect tools to help you increase your water intake. Just set alarms throughout the day to remind yourself to drink water.
#7: Drink When You Exercise
Remember your body loses fluid through sweat, which means it’s important to drink plenty of water before, during and after exercise. That’s especially true if you’re outside in hot or humid weather. Keep in mind that regular water is often a better choice than sports drinks or vitamin water, helping you improve hydration without the extra ingredients or calories.
Shared from Culligan water specialists
The information is not intended to provide or be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment.
It is for informational purposes only.