Kick the New Year off right – reset your diet, your health and invigorate your life!
Dr. Laura M. Brown, ND offers Naturopathic Medicine with a Functional Medicine approach. She helps people better digest their food and the world around them. She is a Naturopathic Doctor, a Certified Gluten Practitioner, HeartMath Certified Practitioner and is engaged in a year long training module at the Kresser Institute of Functional Medicine.
Achieve Optimum Health
Why wait until disease sets in? A visit to Dr. Laura M. Brown, ND can help you identify nutritional deficiencies before disease sets in. With a physical exam and intake that looks at your hair, skin, nails, sleep, stress and diet, Dr. Laura may identify nutritional deficiencies that, if left alone may lead to a number of common problems:
- dry skin
- leg cramps
- peripheral neuropathy
- poor workout recovery
- poor memory and concentration
- brittle, cracked or peeling nails
Food Sensitivity Testing
Sometimes we can be sensitive to foods and not even know it. Testing helps identify what foods may be bothering your system. Using blood or electro dermal screening test will help identify foods that need to be rotated, avoided or eaten occasionally. Knowing your personal food fingerprint may help reduce or even eliminate skin conditions, depression, anxiety, headaches, stomach aches, joint pain and more.
- Electro Dermal Screening Tests
- Blood Tests
Naturopathic Medicine is a comprehensive framework for medicine that looks at the body as a whole and integrated biological web of physiological function. Dietary analysis helps see if you get the ratio of fats, carbs and protein that best suits your individual requirements.
Clinical and laboratory testing is used to evaluate optimum levels for your best health. Most conventional interpretation use metrics that diagnose disease… but why wait until then? Dr. Laura M. Brown, ND can evaluate:
- Physical evaluation of the health of the hair, skin, nails
- Dietary analysis helps identify meal timing and preference, macronutrient balance
- Blood tests are available to evaluate status of nutrients like iron, B12, folic acid, magnesium, calcium, zinc, copper, Vitamin D.
- Electrodermal screening will help identify an imbalance of a given nutrient.
Kick off the new year with an overview of your nutritional status and find your optimum health. Call 519.826.7973 to book your appointment today.
One in eight women will develop thyroid disease in her lifetime and 15 Million women have a dysfunction, but don’t even know it. Men can have issues too, although at a less rate than women.
Environmental toxins are largely to blame for the rising rates of thyroid disease. Years ago, it was mostly iodine deficiency and this is why iodine was added to salt. Now we point the finger more often at the rising rates of hormone mimickers in our environment like BPA’s and their alternatives in plastics, cadmium, circadian light disrupters, pesticides, herbicides and more.
Untreated thyroid dysfunction can lead to feelings of:
- Fatigue and exhaustion
- Brain fog, difficulty focusing thoughts
- Unexpected weight gain, and with it increased risk of obesity, diabetes, and heart disease
- High LDL cholesterol – the thyroid plays an important role in fat metabolism
- Depression – as many as 15% of women on antidepressants have an undetected thyroid problem as the root cause of their depression –but their problem hasn’t been fully investigated. When I check thyroid I check more than the TSH (thyroid stimulating hormone). I look sub functioning gland by checkin TSH, T3, T4, thyroid antibodies and look for how well cortisol is clearing on the DUTCH hormone test.
- Anxiety – often because cortisol is not clearing
- Increased risk of cardiac arrhythmias and congestive heart failure due to the regulatory control of this hormone has on heart rate and rhythm.
Troubles in the digestive track and liver can lead to poor activation of the T4 to T3 hormones. When I work with patients I am always looking for clues in the skin, stress, and sleep and how well the micro biome functions. A good clue to micro biome function is the Comprehensive Stool Analysis by Doctors Data.
If you suspect you may have a thyroid issue, get it tested! I’ll look at results from a functional medicine perspective, which mean optimal performance, not disease levels of lab markers.
From the heart and research of Dr. Laura M. Brown, ND.
You will know if toxins are overflowing in your body if you experience things like frequent headaches, joint aches, bloating, digestive discomfort, diarrhea or constipation, multiple chemical of food sensitivities, rashes, irritability, fatigue, repeated injury, brain fog, or troubles concentrating.
5 things you might not know
about levels of toxins in your body.
- Your body is constantly in a detox mode. Your skin, lungs, kidneys, bowels, liver, and ability to self regulate emotions all contribute to detoxification.
- A baby born today has over 50-200 recognized toxins in their blood stream? Reports from Scientific American and University of Toronto.
- Drinking Alcohol adds to your toxic load. So could the pesticides on your food, the cosmetics you might use, renovations in home or office, cooking and freezing food in plastics, your daily commute, and the emotional stressors in your life.
- You can measure your levels of toxins with hair, urine and blood analysis.
- A naturopathic doctor can help you prioritize your actions and boost your body’s ability to naturally detoxify.
Download your Toxic Questionnaire here.
from the heart and mind of Dr. Laura M. Brown, ND