11 Ways to Use Plants as Medicine
Plants are essential to us. They provide food, healing and medicine. Learn 11 different ways plants can be used as medicine.
1. Plants as Food – Food as Medicine
There are more than 5,000 phytochemicals identified plus many we suspect still remain unknown. Turns out, Mother Nature has packed a punch of power in the plant kingdom.
Many plants contain one or more of these 5,000 nutritional perks that helps us:
- Defend against pathogens, parasites, and predators.
- Protect against chronic disease, including cardiovascular disease, neuro-degeneration, and cancer.
- Purify and renew the blood
- Cleanse body of toxins
- Stimulate effects
- Relaxing effects
2. Extractable in water as TEAS and DECOCTIONS
- Teas use the leaf or flower dried, then steeped in hot water
- Decoctions use roots, tree barks, different seeds and nuts and are let sit over night in cool water and then brought to a boil, left to simmer for 20min.
- Will last 1-2 years if stored in a cool dry place, away for sun. Preferably in glass or stainless steel container.
- Sip and enjoy as a drink
- Teas in the right dose and duration, can act medicinally
- Pour into bath to stimulate circulation, relieve cramps, break a fever, produce a sweat, detoxify the body, ease aches and pains. (Try it with ¼-1/2 cup grated ginger root in a hot bath to ease aches and pains- you can place the ginger tied up in a cheese cloth, or steep it first then add its water to the bath).
- Herbals teas you may be made for a SITZ bath – you likely won’t be drinking these teas, but soaking your bottom end in it… different herbs can help heal perineum after birth, hemorrhoids and fissures.
3. Ground up/ mashed up applied externally as a POULTICE
- Helps draw out pus, slivers, calms inflamed skin, eyes. Directly on skin or in a cotton cloth or gauze.
- Potato works great
4. Cotton cloth soaked in hot herbal tea the applied to skin as a COMPRESS
- Cover with another towel and hot water bottle. Leave in place for 20-30 minutes. Helps relieve cold, painful, inflamed, congested body parts.
- Calendula is often helpful
5. Extractable in alcohol or water, sometimes glycerin as TINCTURES
- Alcohol most popular: it extracts alkaloids, resins, volatile oils, vitamins, minerals, tannins and more. Alcohol based tinctures will last at least 10 years.
- Liquids- take in drop doses
- Add to hot water to drive off alcohol if person is alcohol sensitive
- Dried to make powder which is put into capsules or tablets
- Professionally blended to suit individual needs. Customized and adjustable.
- For a time, not forever.
- Very effective and combined for many different purposes
- Encourages the proper function of the organ and helps drive toxins out.
- These are plant extracts made from the spring buds and embryonic tissue of trees and shrubs.
7. Steeped in VINEGAR
- Organic apple cider vinegar with tarragon, basil, rosemary, thyme, and can use touch of spring tonic greens like dandelion, chickweed or nettle. Place in glass jar, secure lid and sit in sunlight for 4-6 weeks. Then strain the vinegar from the herbs using cheesecloth and store in cool dark location.
- Goodness of the apple cider vinegar plus the herbs
8. Extracted through steam distillation as ESSENTIAL OILS
- Mostly for external use, very concentrated and potent. Often needs to be dilute in a carrier oil before applied direct to skin or in bath.
- May be diffused – with in 3 seconds every cell in your body will be affected by the properties of the EO.
- Facial steams- add 3 drops to a bowl of boiling water and use a towel to tent yourself over it. Inhale and steam for 8 minutes.
9. Herb infused oil blended with bees wax as SALVES
– Used to help skin heal, soothe burns, soften scar tissue.
10. Essence as BACH FLOWER REMEDIES
- Vibrational Medicine made by sun infused flowers in spring water for 4-8 hours. Mixed with oak aged brandy to produce the mother tincture.
- Alcohol provides the most effective preservative for the vibration- maybe for decades. Without it the essence would only last a few days. Vinegar or glycerin will preserve for about 5 years.
- After mixing up the ‘Mother’ remedy, it is succussed (pounded on the bottom of the bottle) about 100 times.
- A stock remedy is made by a 50/50 blend of Brandy and spring water and 5 drops of the Mother, then 100 succussion.
- A patient remedy is then made 10-50mL of 30% organic vegetable glycerin and 5 drops of the stock remedy, succus 100 times.
- 3-5 drops three or more times daily will provide a catalyst to re-awaken natural life force within us.
11. Potentized as HOMEOPATHICS
- made from plants and also animals, minerals and imponderables.
- Any substance given to a healthy person in a suitable dose will cause that person to become ill in a specific and unique pattern
- The same substance in its energetic dose will remove the symptoms. – “Like treats like”
- Titrated down below the point of Avagrado’s number – no actual molecular substance left, only the vibrational & energetic properties.
- Succussion by hand or machine. Similar process to the BACH flower remedies, using spring water or pure alcohol (vodka), then succussing many many times and subsequent dilutions.
- Works on a quantum physics philosophy
- When accurately prescribed can be very helpful.
- Don’t interact with other medications, however other medications may be an obstacle to the remedy working as well as it could.
Robinson, Karl. 1980. Homeopathy: Questions and Answers. Robinson. London.
Soule, Deb. 2011. The Women’s Handbook of Healing Herbs. A Guide to Natural Remedies. Skyhorse Publishing. New York.
Willard, Terri. 2007. Flower Essence. Emotional Alchemy and Spiritual Evolution. Wild Rose College of Natural Healing Alberta.